Community Grant Background
For the last two decades, the Town of Los Gatos has granted approximately $100,000 in General Fund monies annually to approximately forty local nonprofit organizations offering a variety of programs and services to Los Gatos residents that maintain or improve their quality of life.
Community Grants are administered on a one-year cycle with applicants for both the human services, and art, cultural, and educational grants applying for funds that meet one of four funding categories:
- Seed Program funding to fund the start-up of new programs designed to meet a significant community need or problem;
- Project funding to fund one-time projects designed to address a significant community need or problem;
- Emergency funding to fund operational programs in the community which meet an existing need; and
- Community programs funding to fund programs and services to address identified community needs or problems as stated in the Town’s General Plan, action plans, or other policies.
To be eligible for Community Grant funding, agencies must:
- Demonstrate the benefits of program and project services to Los Gatos citizens;
- Be incorporated as a tax-exempt nonprofit corporation and/or exist as another governmental entity;
- Demonstrate the managerial and financial capability to receive and expend grant funds;
- Assure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws; and
- Demonstrate good faith efforts to secure funding for programs and services from other sources.
Community Grant Process
Community Grants are allocated through a competitive process. Applications are made available at the beginning of each the calendar year. Funding availability for Community Grants is based on the amount of funds allocated by the Town Council in the prior budget year.
The Community and Senior Service Commission (CSSC) and the Arts and Culture Commission (ACC) each appoints a Commission member to Grant Evaluation Committee to review applications to evaluate eligibility, review past performance, examine the quality and quantity of services to be provided, ensure that the proposed program or project services will be of benefit to Los Gatos residents, and make preliminary funding recommendations to the Commission in their respective area. The CSSC considers human servicrs application and the ACC considers art, cultural and education applications.
After listening to the agencies explain their proposal and conducting public hearings, each Commission makes recommendations to the Town Council. The Council makes the final determination on all funding recommendations through the adoption of the Town's General Operating Budget, and has the discretion to accept, modify or decline the recommendations for the allocation of Community Grant funds.
FY 2016-17 Community Grant Application Deadline
Community Grant applications will be made available on Friday, December 18, 2015 and are due on Friday, January 22, 2016 by 4:00 p.m.
Community Grant funds amounting to $109,800 were allocated in FY 2015/16 as follows: $90,000 to Human Service programs; and $19,800 to Arts, Cultural, and Educational programs.
- Completed applications are due by 4:00 p.m., January 22, 2016, at the Town of Los Gatos Town Manager’s Office, 110 East Main Street, Los Gatos. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
- One (1) copy of the documents listed on the Applicant Agency/Program Documents Checklist and one (1) copy of the completed application form must be submitted. Please fill out the PDF form of the application, print and sign. Electronic copies will not be accepted.
- Please do not include literature or attachments beyond those required or necessary to present a complete and effective application. Failure to submit a concise, complete application shall be evidence of the proposer’s inability to undertake program objectives.
- All applications must be submitted on the forms provided and in a manner consistent with the instructions. Applications must be word processed or typed.
- All supplemental materials shall be returned to agencies not selected for funding upon request only.
For additional information, please contact:
Lynda Seastrom, Manager’s Office Assistant
Town of Los Gatos
Town Manager’s Office
110 East Main Street
Los Gatos, CA 95030
FY 2016-17 Community Grant General Instructions
FY 2016-17 Community Grant Application