LED Streetlight Project

**PROJECT UPDATE**



The Town-wide LED streetlight conversion project, originally scheduled to begin on Monday July 18, 2016, has been delayed.  Just prior to the scheduled start of the project, the Town received information from PG&E which may have a bearing on the project as currently designed.  The Town is evaluating this information to determine what impact, if any, it might have on the project.  Depending on the outcome of this evaluation, a revised project scope may be recommended.
A new schedule along with any recommended changes to the project scope will be posted here as well as on Nextdoor and the Town’s Facebook page.
For additional questions regarding the LED streetlight project, please contact the Los Gatos Parks and Public Works Department at (408) 399-5770 or via email at LEDstreetlights@losgatosca.gov.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In December of last year, the Los Gatos Town Council approved an Energy Services Agreement with Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) to convert the majority of the Town’s streetlights to energy efficient, low maintenance, LED streetlights.  
Beginning Monday, July 18, 2016, PG&E’s contractor, Cal-West Lighting and Signal Maintenance (Cal-West), will begin replacing over 1,800 streetlights throughout the Town.  Approximately 75% of these lights are Town-owned, with the remaining 25% PG&E-owned (PG&E lights are typically located on wooden poles).  The work is expected to be completed in 6 weeks, and will begin in the northeast corner of Town and move south.  The contractor will typically spend no more than 10 minutes at each streetlight, removing the existing streetlight head and replacing it with a new LED head.  Work hours will generally be from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays, but may extend into the early evening hours.  Work may also occur on weekends.  Town staff will work with PG&E and the contractor to minimize traffic impacts, which are anticipated to be minimal.
 
Streetlight Neighborhood pic2
Streetlight Pic
LED streetlights provide significant cost savings in energy and maintenance, and have been the Town standard for new lights (parks and streets) for some years.  With the exception of decorative lighting in the Downtown, this project will convert nearly all Town streetlights to energy-efficient LEDs, providing uniform lighting throughout the Town.

LED streetlights have been installed in many surrounding communities, including Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, and portions of Campbell and San Jose.  Caltrans has also retrofitted many of its freeway lighting with energy efficient LED lights.   LED lights emit a whiter light (often referred to as “true moonlight”) which allow for colors to be seen more accurately and vividly.  LEDs are also more directional, providing less unwanted light trespass and better illumination of streets and sidewalks.  Additionally, LED streetlights are far more energy efficient and have a much lower carbon footprint than most other types of street lighting.  LED lights also last longer, decreasing the costs for replacement.  Ongoing energy and maintenance savings to the Town are estimated at approximately $70,000 per year.
 
For any questions or concerns regarding the LED streetlight project, please contact the Los Gatos Parks and Public Works Department at (408) 399-5770 or via email at LEDstreetlights@losgatosca.gov.

7 Things you might not know about LED Streetlights…

  1. Bad guys don’t like them!  LED streetlights provide truer color recognition so that police or residents can ID that getaway car accurately!
  2. Bugs don’t like them (as much).  LED streetlights emit light which is less attractive to pesky nighttime insects. 
  3. They last longer.  Much longer!  LED streetlights typically last 10-15 years.  This is about 3 times longer than standard streetlights.
  4. They are whiter and greener!  LED streetlights use far less energy than standard streetlights.  In residential neighborhoods, new LEDs are rated at 29 watts compared with the 70 or 100 watt bulbs currently in use. 
  5. Did we say they are greener?  LED streetlights do not contain mercury, lead or other known disposable hazards and do not emit any dangerous gases, so their impact on the environment is much lower than some other types of lights.
  6. They will save the Town $$!!!  Energy cost savings of $70,000 per year are anticipated as a result of the conversion of streetlights to LEDs.  These are real dollar savings because the LED streetlights use much less energy which provides the Town direct savings on its PG&E bills.
  7. Made in America!  Los Gatos is installing streetlights manufactured by Cree Lighting, a North Carolina-based company which fabricates the lights in Wisconsin.