2020 General Municipal Election
NOTICE OF ELECTION
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a General Municipal Election will be held in the Town of Los Gatos on Tuesday, November 3, 2020 for the following Officers:
TWO (2) MEMBERS OF THE TOWN COUNCIL
(Full term of four years)
ONE (1) MEMBER OF THE TOWN COUNCIL
(Short term of two years)
If no one, or only one person, is nominated for an elected office, appointment to such elective office may be made as prescribed by § 10229 of the Election Code of the State of California.
2020 Nomination Filing Period July 13, 2020 to August 7, 2020, 4:30 p.m.
Two (2) seats open each for four (4) year terms
One (1) seat open for two (2) year term
UPDATE: The filing period for the four year terms has been extended to Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 4:30 p.m. The filing period for the two year term closed August 7, 2020.
2020 Candidate Nomination Documents Issuance Guidelines
Please contact the Clerk’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment at least twenty-four (24) business hours before your desired appointment time.
After setting an appointment, but prior to issuing nomination documents, the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk shall follow normal procedures and guidelines to verify eligibility of the candidate for the office sought.
In order to maintain the safety of candidates and Town staff, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- The attendance by the candidate and their representatives is limited to two persons (including the candidate).
- If the candidate or their representative is not feeling well, are exhibiting any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, chills, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, muscle pains and/or believe they may have been exposed to COVID-10 within the 14 days prior to the appointment, please do not come in and contact the Clerk's office at email@example.com to reschedule the appointment.
- Masks/face coverings that cover both the mouth and nose are required to be worn for the duration of the appointment. Gloves will be provided, or you may bring your own.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from others during the appointment.
What to expect during your appointment:
- Please plan for an hour-long appointment.
- The candidate and their representative will have their temperatures taken using a no-touch thermometer before entering Town facilities.
- Town staff will practice social distancing guidelines set forth by the Santa Clara Public Health Department. Staff will wash or sanitize hands prior to issuing documents and will sanitize the table, doorknob, chair, and pens before each appointment.
- Only the Nomination Paper will be issued as a hard copy. All other nomination documents will be issued electronically, via thumb drive or email.
Instructions for candidates:
- Currently staff is working remotely while Town facilities are closed. At the time of your appointment, please knock on the Town Hall door and the Clerk will let you in.
- If the candidate is submitting their paperwork in-person, an additional appointment is required prior to the deadline of 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020.
- If the candidate is submitting their paperwork via mail, ALL documents with original signatures must be sent certified mail and received in the Clerk’s office by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020. Please note: Postmarks are not accepted.
- ALL documents, including the filing fee of $25, and estimated candidate statement fee of $2,700, must be submitted at the same time.
Should you require accommodations, please contact the Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org at least forty-eight (48) business hours to schedule an appointment before your desired appointment time.
Pursuant to official guidance issued by the Secretary State on May 5, 2020, elections officials must provide clear written guidance to candidates regarding the requirement of submitting the candidate documents with original signatures to the elections official by the official close of the nomination period. The candidate must acknowledge receipt of the written guidance in the manner provided by the elections official.
Candidates must submit the original candidate documents to the elections official in a manner that will ensure that those original documents are in the possession of the elections official prior to the deadline for filing (postmark is not accepted, all of the documents must be physically received in the office prior to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020).
Required candidate documents with original signatures received by the election official after the deadline for filing will not be accepted.
In order to make any edits or changes when the required documents are filed, the candidate or a designated agent of the candidate (authorized in writing by the candidate) must be physically present in the Town Clerk Department at the return appointment.
MEASURES TO BE VOTED ON
Notice is hereby given that the following measures are to be voted on at the General Municipal Election to be held in the Town of Los Gatos on Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
Shall the measure proposing an ordinance replacing the Town’s current Finance Committee and Sales Tax Oversight Committee with a Finance Commission that would advise the Town Council on financial, budgetary and investment matters, including but not limited to, the Annual Budget, the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, capital expenditures, sales tax revenue and expenditures, and other recommendations as the Town Council directs, be adopted?
Shall the measure proposing a term limit ordinance to require that after serving two (2) four (4) year terms, a Town Council Member is not eligible to run for the Town Council or to be appointed to a vacancy unless a period of four years has elapsed since their last service on Town Council, be adopted?
The polls will be open between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.