Youth Commission Activities
The Commission has established themselves in Town by getting other youth and members of the community to be aware of their existence in order to solicit input for various issues which are important to local youth. So far, the Youth Commission has involved themselves with working on or has completed the following:
- Established a Commission website in order to solicit input and inform
- the community on their monthly activities;
- Completed a “Teen Survey,” which will be used as a tool to solicit
- feedback from the
youth on issues which are important to them; Los Gatos
- Participates in the annual Holiday Parade downtown;
- Evaluating the feasibility of participating or sponsoring an event that
- would be beneficial to
youth, such as a music or movie event; and Los Gatos
- Provided information and education about the Town's curfew ordinance to youth in the community.
The Youth Commission shall consists of twenty-six (26) members. The members shall be students who are entering grades 8 through 12. Membership for the students requires residency in the incorporated limits of the Town of Los Gatos or residency in the unincorporated areas of the County of Santa Clara, which have a Los Gatos mailing address.
- Members shall serve a term of two (2) years and until their successors are appointed and qualified. Members who are entering grade 12 when appointed shall serve a term of one (1) year.
- The Commission shall appoint one (1) primary member and one (1) alternate to serve as voting members on the following Town Boards and Commissions:
- Arts and Culture Commission
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission
- Community and Senior Services Commission
- Library Board
- Parks Commission
- Transportation and Parking Commission
- In addition to all Youth Commission meetings, the primary member shall attend all meetings of the Board or Commission they are appointed to. If the primary member is not able to attend the meeting of the Board or Commission they are assigned, it shall be the responsibility of the alternate to attend the meeting. If the primary member misses three (3) meetings of the Board or Commission the Youth Commission shall appoint a new primary member, and if necessary, a new alternate.
- Commissioners shall provide a monthly report to the Youth Commission and be responsible for conveying the Youth Commission’s input to the Board or Commission.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, you can apply online. Please note that a head shot photo (no larger than 2x3) is required to be submitted with your application.
Once your application has been accepted, the Clerk Department will contact you via email with the interview time. For additional information regarding openings or the application process for this Commission, please contact the Clerk Department at (408) 354-6834.