Unlicensed Persons* are limited to the design of:
• Single-family dwellings of wood frame construction not more than two stories and/or including basement in height.
• Multiple dwellings containing no more than four dwelling units of wood frame construction not more than two stories and basement in height. Not more than four dwelling units per lot.
• Garages or other structures appurtenant to dwellings, of wood frame construction not more than two stories and basement in height.
• Agricultural and ranch buildings of wood frame construction.*
• Nonstructural store fronts, interior alterations or additions, fixtures, cabinetwork, furniture, or other appliances or equipment including nonstructural work necessary to provide for their installation.
• Nonstructural alterations or additions to any building necessary to or attendant upon the installation of such storefronts, interior alterations or additions, fixtures, cabinetwork, furniture, appliances, or equipment.
• May not design any component that affects the safety of any building or its occupants, including but not limited to structural or seismic components.
* Unless the building official having jurisdiction deems that an undue risk to the public health, safety or welfare is involved
Structural Engineers * have no Limitations; may design any building of any type.
Applicable Statutes - 6731, 6736, 5537.1 of B & P Code
Civil Engineers * may design any building except hospitals or schools.
Applicable Statutes - 15013 of H & S Code 5537.5, 6731, 6735 of B & P Code
Architects * may design any type building except the structural portion of a hospital.
Applicable Statutes - 15048 of H & S Code, 5500.1, 6737 of B & P Code