Notice: New Planning and Building Permit Fees
Starting July 1, 2023, new planning and building application fees will take affect. To learn more about the new fees, you can access them on the Comprehensive Fee Schedule web page.
New Building Codes effective January 2023
The Current Codes, as amended and adopted by the Town of Los Gatos as of January 1, 2023, are the 2022 California Building Standards Code, California Code of Regulations Title 24, Parts 1-12 as listed below:
- Part 1 California Administrative Code
- Part 2 California Building Code, Volumes 1 & 2, including Appendices I, and J. (Local amendments)
- Part 2.5 California Residential Code including Appendices AH, AK, AO, AQ, AX, and AZ. (Local amendments)
- Part 3 California Electrical Code.
- Part 4 California Mechanical Code.
- Part 5 California Plumbing Code including Appendices A, B, D, G, I, K, and L only. (Local amendments)
- Part 6 California Energy Code.
- Part 8 California Historical Building Code including Appendix A.
- Part 9 California Fire Code. (Local amendments)
- Part 10 California Existing Building Code including 2018 International Existing Building Code Chapter 14, and Appendices A2, A3, A4, and A5.
- Part 11 California Green Buildings Standards Code Chapters 1-8 only. (Local amendments)
- Part 12 California Referenced Standard Code.
- 2022 International Property Maintenance Code.
Applying for a Building Permit
Before you get started, do you know what permit you need to apply for? If you're not sure, check out our new Permit Decision Tool! It will help you determine why type of permit you will need! Otherwise, follow the steps below.
- Become an Accela Citizen Access registered user. Head to the Accela Citizen Portal and register with your email address. You’ll receive a confirmation email to your inbox. Once you confirm, you’re ready for step 2!
- Already have an account? Go to Manage My Records to log in.. You can check the status of your existing permits or move to step 2 to start a new application.
- Complete a pre-application, which includes submitting your application forms, plans, documents, and other project-related materials. Staff will review your materials to ensure your file contains all the materials necessary for your project to be reviewed. You may consider checking out the submittal guidelines in the Plan Check Submittal Requirements document as you prepare your plans.
- Resolve fees for your application. Once your file has everything needed, it will move on from being a pre-application to a full application. You will be asked to pay associated fees online via credit card. Alternatively, you can mail a check or come into our office during counter hours (8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to pay for the associated fees. Then your project will be assigned to the appropriate staff for review.
- Responding to comments & collaborating with staff. Through the ACA platform, you can receive comments, marked-up plans, provide resubmissions, and other activities related to the review of your application. We encourage you to collaborate with staff via email.
We are excited to offer services that safely keep our community moving forward!
The Building Division does not accept Plan Check Submittals or Resubmittals by FedEx, UPS or any other mail courier.
The Building Division helps to ensure health, safety and welfare of the citizens, property owners and visitors of the Town of Los Gatos. The Building Division is responsible for plan review of all new construction, additions and remodels for both commercial and residential properties and construction inspection services for all projects including electrical, plumbing and mechanical installations. We ensure compliance with state and local codes, policies, guidelines and standards of all residential and commercial structures within the town limits.
The Town's new Online Permits System is available for the following Residential permits: Electrical Service Panel (200 amp or less), Copper Repipe, Water Heater Replacement (same type and location), Water Line (repair / replacement), and Furnace and Air Conditioner Replacement (same location) for parcels in the town's jurisdiction. Contractors and property owners can register to use the system to create any of the above permits on the Online Permits System. Contractors must have a current Business License for the Town to obtain permits.
The Building Division also offers online access to view the building permit history for parcels in the town's jurisdiction. Please do not register for an account if you are only viewing permits. The public can view pending and issued building permits from 1994 forward via the web. Building permit history prior to 1994 is available to view via Laserfiche and/or Microfiche at the Town Building Division counter between the hours of 8 a.m. and 1 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Other Associated Links
- California Building Officials
- California Building Standards Commission
- California Energy Commission
- Certified Access Specialist List
- Contractors State License Board
- International Code Council
- ICC Evaluation Services
- Peninsula Chapter -ICC
- Santa Clara County Fire Department
- Santa Clara Valley Water District
- Santa Clara County Environmental Health (click on consumer protection division)
- Silicon Valley Clean Energy eHub
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
- West Valley Sanitation District