- Living in Los Gatos
- Town Departments and Services
- Parks and Public Works
- Vehicle Miles Traveled - VMT
Vehicle Miles Traveled - VMT
California Senate Bill (SB) 743, which was signed into law by Governor Brown in 2013, changes the way that public agencies evaluate the transportation impacts of projects under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), recognizing that roadway congestion, while an inconvenience to drivers, is not itself an environmental impact.
The Town of Los Gatos is the lead agency for environmental clearance under CEQA for projects within the Town’s jurisdiction and is required to make several key policy decisions in compliance with SB 743 and the CEQA Guidelines expectations. These policy decisions are grouped by specific categories (1) VMT metrics, (2) VMT calculation methods, (3) VMT significance thresholds, and (4) VMT mitigation actions.
In an effort beginning in 2019, the Town Council made these decisions to complete the process intended to fundamentally change transportation impact analysis under CEQA.
Town Council Decisions
- June 30, 2022 Special Town Council meeting: approved the Draft 2040 General Plan with modifications and certified the Final Environmental Impact Report (VMT mitigation actions).
- December 7, 2021 Town Council Meeting: Adopted the Transportation Impact Policy (calculation methods).
- November 17, 2020 Town Council Meeting: Adopted a resolution designating the use of Vehicle Miles Traveled as the metric for conducting transportation analyses (VMT metrics and significance thresholds).
Transportation Impact Policy (Policy No. 1-08)
Resolution (2020-045) designating the use of Vehicle Miles Traveled as the metric for conducting transportation analyses.
SB 743 Implementation Decisions for the Town of Los Gatos: SB 743 Implementation Decisions
This document provides background on the changes in the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Transportation Analysis and technical information pertaining to decisions the Town Council made.
February 18, 2020 Town Council Meeting
January 21, 2020 Town Council Meeting
A report on how vehicle miles travelled (VMT) and level of service analysis (LOS) will work together in shaping future development projects.
October 8, 2019 Town Council and Planning Commission Joint Study Session